Saturday, March 20, 2010

And the MVP award goes to...

[Written on 2/8/2010]

Congratulations, Saints fans! Your team has achieved the miracle, and got your city to feel happy about something. For the Colts fans, haven't you had enough with just the lucky one against the worst Chicago Bears? Don't count on it anymore.

Anyway, it was a well deserved MVP recognition to Drew Brees, who came as a free agent to a hurricane ravaged city and mollified the agonies of the hurricane with his touch of breeze. Seeing him hold his baby boy and feel emotional - man, you've got the dads votes.

There is one more recognition that should have happened off the TV networks - off the commercial filled tubes - that did not happen. That was the "Most Versatile Planner" or rather "Most Vivacious Planner", or rather just the "Most Valuable Planner" recognition for me.

While Drew Brees was holding the Vince Lombardi trophy in an emotion choked moment, I was dreaming of a similar recognition at Sharma's place. But rather, I was getting harassed for being the "Most Villanous Person" and "Most Vicious Person" - a different kind of MVP that is unheard of . Want to know how it happened? Want to know the vagaries of friendship that turned a person of hope and charm - that is me - to persona non-grata?

Well, the long story short, on Friday night I had a call from my Sagaa friends, that one of them was going to have a men only, no kids, super bowl bash and "I had" to come. The tone was simple, straightforward and scary. I tried to counter the offer with a pledged loyalty to the one I had envisioned already. I was told: "Do you mean, you can top ours? No this or that. It has to be simply ours."

By Saturday morning, I was torn. Loyalty to the Pileon friends was one. Handling the threat is another one. What to do? In all those decision making moments I asked the person whom I usually resort later to pointing the blame:Shree. Her answer was simple: "dude, keep me out of it. I don't care even if the game goes beyond the 9th inning."

I looked up the skies for answer. The cloud formation seemed to tell me something. I knew what I had to. I would do one half with my Sagaa friends and the other at the promised land.

Around the half time, when people were busy dissecting the plays of the first half, I decided to sneak out and got caught. Saints were trailing and I thought, a change of place - me, going out - could turn the luck in their favor. I put a sentimental note to the rabid crowd, that had all but one poor guy rooting for the Saints. Knowing the sentimental trends of watching cricket since childhood, I thought I could sell this "well known taboo" like a used car salesman.

Well, I thought it would be easy. I could pull it off like a magician removing the table cloth without disturbing the filled glasses above it. I was wrong. I underestimated the power of my brethren. I was getting forced to shun my loyalty to Pileon; I was getting subdued.

Inside I felt, I had to decide between the "nagging" wife (Pileon) - whom I meet and socialize with, very frequently, and the wonderful long last(ing?) love - that is, my Sagaa friends - who always bring the best memories (just short of, where some beauty could knot the stem of the cherry with a glare before dropping it in to a glass of martini) in me. With just a week away from Valentine's, I could sense my vulnerability.

The junta was deciding on the fate of my release; by that the half time got over. I got restless. I knew it was a 15 minute drive from the Gomes/Driscoll area to the promised land. That was when the incredible play happened. The on-side kick, that got the whole world of Saints to its feet. The shock was awesome.

It was in those moments, the rich old sentiments of watching cricket hits every Indian. I told myself:"May be, it's a signal that I should stay to keep the sudden turn of events in blossoming in to something good."

I landed up watching the whole game at theirs. I danced with them; I screamed with them; It was Saints! Saints! Saints! from then on. I thought, my decision to stay was a pivotal point of the whole game. I was very excited.

After the game, I remembered my promise to Pileon and rushed over. I apologized (I had already rehearsed my act on the way) that could get me Oscars this year on a wild card performance entry. I just can't stop myself from gloating on that.

Anyway, with Gunna already gone the mood after the game as very somber. How couldn't it be? With Siri and Ram upset by the loss of their team, and Sharma secretly relishing the win of his team (he couldn't express it in front of Siri anyway), it was so gloomy. Wondering about the other personalities out there? Well, for now let's keep our focus on the principal football fans.

Ram was so upset that he didn't let me watch the post game news conference. Man, I wish Shanthi were there as a Saints fan.

Sensing the mood, I silently did what I went to do: finish off the wonderful food. I never had appetizers, pizza, puffs, juice and coffee in a single sitting. Wasn't that filling or what?

In my mind, I know I "shorted" the Pileon party. Though my guilt got blown over by the Saints victory, I wish I should have been there too.

By the way, the Pizzas were spicy and excellent like the game turned out to be.

Go Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment